[ACTUALLY A PRECINCT FULL OF THEM]
Once upon our winter weary, Mom and I and kids were dreary,
Telling a story and then one more, Drooping eyelids, ready for snores,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
(End of the loose modern interpretation of Edgar Allen Poe)
So I strode to the door to see who was there and it was a shoveler asking to take on my sidewalk. Whilest he began his pitch, I politely interrupted feigning disinterest. He interrupted me saying "HEAR ME OUT!"
I was a bit taken aback by his abrupt remark and when he finished his proposal I asked about his obvious frustration. He had stated that despite his lowering of prices from the past few winters he had lost accounts and even the neighborhood wide door to door effort has yielded no fruit. I explained my layoff and told him that we couldn't afford to pay the $10 he offered despite its value. He summarily huffed away with my apologies and a prayer for his good fortune.
When I closed the door I felt badly for him as he had shared that he had walked 7 full streets from Woodward to the tracks without a taker.
As I laid, pondering our conversation it occurred to me....
How many snowfalls in a typical Ferndale winter? I found out it averages 21 snowfalls. At $10 apiece it would be $210. But we can't afford it. Not even one time. In 7 blocks of households. That is about the size of my entire precinct.
So my question is this...
If the City Council is convinced that that know what we can afford better than us...and despite 73% of the homeowners expressing opposition to the plan and the other 27% expressing a neutral position when presented on December 29th in an open forum...why do they continue to push this issue. If we have no money, then why are we wasting anytime on this at all.
I think you should call the City Manager currently Bob Bruner and ask him why and share your opposition. The City Manager's office number is (248) 546-2360. Next time we call City Council directly.