Pageviews

Sunday, January 2, 2011

EXPLAINING THE OBVIOUS

It always piques my interest when I am asked by people, mainly ones used to spending to cover deficits, what else can be done.

Recently, I have been questioned by several in the community about what else can be done in Ferndale.

Well, I can sure answer that one!

1. Cut - Cut - Cut! Get rid of everything we don't need to survive or cut it to the bare bones minimums.

2. Freeze Non-Essential Spending - In times of budget crisis you do not buy new software, remodel city hall or buy new things. Those are extras for when you have a surplus.

3. Freeze Wages All city Employees should take a pay cut to industry averages or below. Employess can be fired and rehired at lower wages. Benefit costs can be shared. Extras can be cut. Once we are at a reasonable level, a complete Freeze on wages and benefits.

I cannot understand why people have a difficult time with budgeting. Whether you are a family, a small business or a municipality, you do the same thing people do when they receive a loss of income....trim their budget to match. You don't get a pay cut and then go buy 2 new cars and a new furniture!

Ferndale's Hot List of City Hall's wasteful spending:

Totem Pole - Cambourne & Woodward - $30,000
Crows Nest - 9 Mile & Woodward - $75,000
Multiple Consulting Fees - $100,000 plus each
Raising their own salaries - $25,000+ a year
Last city to cancel May elections - $10,000-$20,000/election

Need I go on???

If you know of more wasteful city spending or have more ideas on how to cut please comment here or email me at SeanMHouse@gmail.com

CALL TO CITIZENS OF FERNDALE

Lets convene our own Citizens Committee to offer suggestions to Council for our budget woes. Contact me at 248-224-1973 or the email above.

Believe me when I tell you that there were many people with options that were ignored or muzzled. That time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment